Sheffield Cathedral Of St. Peter & St. Paul
A Place For All People


Sheffield Cathedral (The Cathedral Church of St Peter and St Paul, Sheffield) is the cathedral church for the Church of England diocese of Sheffield, England. Originally a parish church, it was elevated to cathedral status when the diocese was created in 1914. Sheffield Cathedral is one of five Grade I listed buildings in the city, along with Town Hall, Abbeydale Industrial Hamlet, and the parish churches at Ecclesfield and Bradfield. It is located in the city centre on Church Street and served by Sheffield Supertram's Cathedral stop.

The site of the cathedral has a long history of Christian use. The shaft of the 9th-century Sheffield Cross, believed to have formerly been sited here, is now held by the British Museum. It is probable that Sheffield's parish church, a satellite of Worksop Priory, was constructed here in the 12th century by William de Lovetot at the opposite end of the town to Sheffield Castle. This established the area of the parish of Sheffield, unchanged until the 19th century. This church was burnt down in 1266 during the Second Barons' War against King Henry III.

Another parish church was completed in 1280, but this church was mostly demolished and rebuilt about 1430 on a cruciform floor plan. The Shrewsbury Chapel was added in the next century, and a vestry chapel (now the Chapel of Saint Katherine) was added in 1777. The north and south walls of the nave were rebuilt in 1790–93 and a major restoration by Flockton & Gibbs, which included the addition of new north and south transepts, was completed in 1880. The church was originally dedicated to Saint Peter, but from some time after the reformation into the 19th century it was dedicated to Holy Trinity; it has since been dedicated to both Saint Peter and Saint Paul.
The memorial screen of swords and bayonets is said to be unique. It was given by ‘All Ranks of 1st Battalion The York and Lancaster Regiment’ on its disbandment (14th December 1968) in memory of all who gave their lives while serving with the Regiment. The screen signifies the continuance of service, with the swords being pointed upwards; the bayonets pointed downwards signify the laying aside of weapons of war.
The parish of Sheffield was subdivided into smaller parishes in 1848. The church is still the parish church for the smaller Parish of Sheffield, but in 1914 it was also made the cathedral church for the newly created Diocese of Sheffield. Plans were drafted by Charles Nicholson to extend the church and reorient it on its axis, but due to World War II these were greatly scaled down. The resulting additions leave the church an awkward shape in plan, but with an impressive south elevation.

The east end of the current church is the oldest. In the east wall of the sanctuary there are stones from the 13th-century church. Dating from the 15th century are the sanctuary and chancel. The 15th-century cruciform church also included lofts and a rood chapel but these were ordered to be removed by Queen Elizabeth. Their scars can be seen on the walls.
The chancel roof likely dates to the 16th century and is a hammerbeam roof with gilded angels. The outstretched wings are a modern gift from the 1960s by George Bailey.

In the 1770s, rebuilding included the addition of tracery into the windows and a resurfacing of the walls with moorstone. The addition of the vestry chapel of St. Katherine destroyed the cruciform shape of the plan. The Shrewsbury Chapel was constructed in order to house the Tudor monuments of the Earls of Shrewsbury.

The altarpiece in this chapel is considered medieval in date. On the south wall of the Shrewsbury Chapel is the alabaster monument to the 6th Earl of Shrewsbury with its architectural surround, armoured effigy, and Latin inscription. Multiple members of the family are buried in the vault. The monument on the left towards the sanctuary is to George Talbot, 4th Earl of Shrewsbury. It is made of fine marble, carved in an Italian style to depict the Earl and his two wives in positions of prayer. They are both fine examples of Tudor monuments.
The east window is a monument to James Montgomery.
In the 1880s further reconstruction and rebuilding removed the galleries, moved the organ to the north transept to clear the chancel, and changed the pews to the current oak pews. The north and south transepts and west end were extended. A screen was constructed by local craftsmen for the Shrewsbury Chapel but was modified and moved to the north aisle in the 1900s. During later restoration work in 2013, it was discovered that a number of the Shrewsbury coffins were missing from the crypt.
The Lantern Tower - known colloquially as the Crown Of Thorns
Who's Who

The Very Reverend Peter Bradley


is the Dean of Sheffield .The word dean comes from the Latin for sergeant, and Peter’s ministry is to be a sort of sergeant of the diocese! He holds three main roles. He is the senior priest of the Diocese, and works closely with the Bishops to support them in their ministries of oversight, for example, by sharing in clergy reviews. The Bishops share with the Dean their mission to organizations that fall outside the parish system, and our responsibilities as the Established Church. As a consequence, Peter spends much of his time developing new relationships with business and community leaders, in pastoral care and evangelism. Finally, he is the senior priest at the Bishop’s Church, the Cathedral, and he leads the team of clergy and lay people who share in the mission of the Cathedral ‘to know, love and serve our Lord Jesus Christ, and so become true witnesses to God’s kingdom, and a place for all people’.
The Revd Canon Christopher Burke

is the Canon Precentor. The title ‘Precentor’ has historically been given to the person in the church who leads the choir and congregation in singing. So as Canon Precentor, Chris is responsible for the planning and direction of Cathedral worship and special services. He works closely with everyone who is connected with the worship of the Cathedral, including the musicians, vergers,lay people and other clergy. He also works with the congregation to develop congregational life, deepen pastoral relationships, support a pattern of prayer and enable continued growth in faith. Chris is responsible, along with colleagues, for aspects of congregational growth and learning. He also has oversight of the Cathedral's programme of visits and pilgrimages.

The Revd Captain Mike Reeder CA


Mike was born in Norfolk and began a career in catering. Following training as an evangelist with Church Army, Mike worked in a parish in Northern Ireland and as a Hospital and Hospice Chaplain in Norwich. He came to Sheffield in 1995 to take up a post as a Tutor at Wilson Carlile College of Evangelism and then worked as the Pastoral Worker at Christ Church Fulwood. Mike is at present the full-time Chaplain and Spiritual Care Co-Ordinator at St Luke's Hospice here in Sheffield. Mike also acts as Liturgical Chaplain to the Bishop of Doncaster. Mike was recently ordained priest and continues the role of Honorary Curate at the Cathedral. Mike also acts as Chaplain to the Cathedral staff and Chaplain to the College of Canons, roles which involve being a resource to people who live and work within the Cathedral Community.
The Revd Capt Ian Maher

is also a Church Army Evangelist, the Assistant Curate and the newest member of our team. Ian is a Self Supporting Minister at the Cathedral and shares in supporting congregational development and learning. His main ministry role is as the Chaplain and Multifaith Chaplaincy Co-ordinator at Sheffield Hallam University.
The Gateway Project
from the Cathedral website

Imagine a bright, welcoming building, in which school children are busy on projects, a stage is being set up for a concert, quiet prayer is happening in a chapel where candles burn, and people are arriving for a service of Holy Communion.

On 18 February 2013 Sheffield Cathedral embarked on the building phase of a project that will enable this vision to become a reality. By early summer 2014, God willing, the Cathedral will have been transformed into a prayerful, visionary, and flexible space, serving our region and diocese in imaginative ways and fully accessible to all.

The Gateway Project is the name the Cathedral Chapter has given to the project. The name comes from a story in the book of Genesis in the Bible. In the story Jacob dreams about a ladder between heaven and earth, and receives a promise of God's commitment to him and his descendants. When he wakes up, he exclaims, 'This is none other than the house of God, and this is the gate of heaven.' We want Sheffield Cathedral to be a place where worshippers and visitors get a glimpse of heaven.

The Gateway Project, when completed, will renew the interior of the Cathedral. It has two main elements: 

  • The Centenary Project:  new heating, flooring and seating in the main body of the Cathedral (the nave) and levelling of the floor to make the building more accessible to wheelchair users.
  • The Place for All People Project: a new accessible and welcoming main entrance, with gathering and display spaces; new lighting; new signage and interpretation resources; training for staff and volunteers; learning activities for children and adults. 

Expected completion by Palm Sunday 2014